Friday, March 20, 2009

The Dream

There’s something about surrender that I still fumble around with and can’t get right: What is it about letting go that we all struggle with? When you are born you are forced into a life of total dependency. If you grow up in a fairly good home then for the next 15 to 20 years you live a life that is somewhat sheltered from the real realities of life. You have ’something’ to fall back on like, of course, your family (note that I am simply generalising here). I don’t know when it hit you, but the ‘real’ realities began to strike me like a set of waves around the age of 22 and they haven’t stopped since. As I wrestled with myself and with God I found it easy to say that I trusted; easy to say that I had some sort of faith, but my actions said otherwise. I remember that for about a year I lived with a physical pain in my chest that would rise and fall in severity according to my worries and hurting (I certainly don’t say this to arise in you some pity for me. I say this so you can see how easily the mind can effect even the body but most importantly how the mind and body can effect the spirit as it’s the part of us that connects to His spirit) It was then that I began to realize that maybe, just maybe, all that I had set hopes on were nothing but a vapor, a fantasy. What I used to anticipate with great excitement was slowly turning into a big joke. During this time there was nothing and no-one that I could fall back on. Hearing my pastor preach on beautiful truths only went so far, the comfort of my parents and family only went so deep, but my heart was not healed. In all of this the most horrid thing that could have happened, the most regretful thing I wish I had done different because it would have saved me many tears, was to question and put the blame on God Himself. I thought that what I asked for in my prayers was something He would naturally give because they were ‘good’. In my mind I reasoned: if God is good then good things will come to His children. And once again, although this is true, you and I both know that the good we want does not always turn out ‘good’, does it? What had I done to now be walking alone with no plan for my life, not even dreams? Where was the God that provided a path of security, a path of purpose? I took it even further and questioned his very existence because I reasoned that if He could not control Goodness or Goodwill toward man that maybe He wasn’t in control at all. Maybe this ‘god’ idea was merely a way to make ourselves feel better about a rotten situation. Such were the thoughts of a girl whose heart was torn by a now dreamless life but could not throw questions at God and not have Him answer them (in a strange way). I know He’s there. Otherwise how would I recognize goodness? He must be Good because those ‘waves’ that came upon me were thrown by Him. How does that make him good, you say? I certainly didn’t see this coming. But his answer was clear. It took me almost going under, feeling pain, wrestling and struggling with my faith to finally see what I was resting my entire life on: the dreams, the expectations, the picture I had painted of God, of myself and of this life. So, I felt much like Eustace who, tired of what he had set his hopes on, was ready for Aslan to cut through his scaly dragon skin and find the little boy at the core. All that I had attained, picked up and stored as treasure had become who I was and they were weighing me down. What I had rested my hopes and dreams on was faulty and would have pulled me under had it not been for the realization that even being surrendered to ‘good things’ is not enough to truly live. He is the life. He IS Love. HE is ‘Goodness’ . Like a seed who is totally and unapologetically surrendered to the key elements, so, He had to strip me of these dreams so I could totally surrendered to ‘The Dream’. Himself. The true life worth living, real love and the very source of goodness. Can I express what that dream is? No. I think I’ll spend eternity trying to though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Steve said...

Charmaine, I think that there is a false Gospel being proclaimed by many today that confuses people about God and what one can expect when one becomes a Christian. We have just had Cross-Veneration Sunday in our Church. That is the third Sunday of Great Lent. On this day, we remember the Cross and we also remember that part of what it means to be a Christian is to carry a cross. There are many people who have become Christians and have enjoyed a less than perfect life. The martyrs are a good example. Some people have served Christ in the most hostile conditions for a Christian to live in and have spilled their blood for our Lord. St. Agnes died when she was about sixteen. She was a beautiful Italian girl who loved God and refused to marry a pagan. The pagan had her put to death. Where was her dream? St. Paul traveled around preaching the Gospel and starting churches in Italy, Greece, what is now modern day Turkey, and other parts of the Middle East. He was not getting rich doing it. He claimed to be "poor, yet making many rich." (II Cor. 6:10) Finally, he was beheaded. Where was his dream? Being a follower of Christ does not mean that everything is going to work out perfect. Actually, one should not be surprised if everything doesn't. (I Pet. 4:12,13; II Tim. 3:12) The abundant life that Christ promised (St. John 10:10) is not in this life. In this life, He said we will have tribulation. (St. John 16:33) Sts. Paul and Barnabas told Christians that through much tribulation they must enter into the Kingdom of God. (Acts 14:22) The abundant life, Charmaine, is in the next one. That is why so many of the martyrs chose God and martyrdom over "the perfect life" they could have had if only they had caved in and done what their persecutors wanted them to do.

Steve

Unknown said...

We often confuse dreams with calling. I hear so many artists, singers and musicians who say they are "called", but what I now see is "their" dreams and ambitions and not necessarily God's calling. It takes a growing process and maturity to realize this. Biblically speaking, it appears that most who were called by God weren't really dreaming about it.
Some were very resistant like Moses. Calling usually requires self-sacrifice. I personally don't see a lot of self-sacrifice in our human "dreams". You've found something deeper and more true. I didn't realize these things until I was in my 30's. They don't teach it at church. Jesus does.