Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Do you have some chewy?

I'd like to think that most people can understand me when i ask for simple things like gum. but being from Australia (where we abbreviate almost everything) apparently not. It's been almost 7 years living here in the USA. its been great! Touring, singing, writing music with good friends but i realize that majority rules. I ask for 'chewy', and in spite of the fact that my friends know what I'm asking for, they have a horrid habit of correcting me. I say ''lets go have some chip's'' they still give this look like, what are you talking about? When they ALL know that I'm talking about fries! Give me a break people! Some things are hard to shake. And there are tons of little things I've changed just to communicate properly with you. Can we not find some common ground? I had a bit of an episode at a restaurant where a tiny Asian lady went around taking our drink order. She came around to me and i asked her for some water. simple, water. she would reply with a confused look and say woo tah? she thought i wanted some sort of soup i think. I tried saying water with an American accent but that just makes me sound like i have a golf ball stuck in my mouth, which made her even more confused...and all the while, as we're having our communication break-down the whole table went silent. my lovely friend's with they're perfect American accents offered no help but watched my embarrassment like a fascinating tennis match between the Australian/Chilean and the little Asian lady! one of my friends finally satisfied with the entertainment for the night decided to ask for water on my behalf. what the heck!? she only understood the American version of water. i don't think I'm asking for a ton...only that when i ask for some chewy... just give me some flipping gum! After all, how boring would this world be if we were the same? So, maybe learn a little more of me and I'll learn a little more of you. So when i ask for some chips you know i mean fries and when you want some gum, I'll know you want some chewy. I'll also learn how to say water like an American. When we don't understand each other it'll make for a very entertaining situation. If you don't know me, my name is Charmaine, I'm 24 from Australia, a singer/songwriter about to release her new EP. Also to go on tour with Matt Ridenour! Just letting you know pieces of me. so..... you wouldn't happen to have some chewy on you, would ya? ;)

8 comments:

Joanna said...

Being Australian, i feel your pain. When overseas i tend often get misunderstood. Even here i occasionally confuse new friends that haven't been in Australia long.

Priscilla said...

Hey Charmaine!

Great to see you've start a blog :)

My name's Priscilla and I'm from New Zealand (altho was born in Aussie) and I was fully cracking up and relating to what you just said in your blog re: different slang words/accents! I was in the States for 7 weeks earlier this year and found a few times that I had to put on an American accent for words like 'water' and 'tomato' which got a bit annoying! But for the most part, the majority of people understood me which was cool :)

I remember gettin excited kinda one time when I was at this place called Zoes in Florida, and ordered my sub and saw on the menu that it came with chips! And so subconsciously I thought that they were actually referring to hot chips as chips for once... only to realise that it just meant a packet of potato chips heh...

p.s. Us Kiwis pretty much shorten everything too.. and yes i do have some chewy on me! :)

-Priscilla

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it when you sound like you have a golf ball in your mouth... it just makes it more funny for us Americans....hehehe

Juan Portela said...

Remind me to tell you about the airline employee who treated Spanish speakers like they were deaf.

Juan Portela said...

Oh, and there was a pastor friend of mine who had to go to an Australian hospital ER, where the nurse asked him "Did you come here to die?" Of course, "today" sounds like "to die" to American ears when effected with the colonial twang of Oz, and they all had a good laugh.

Anonymous said...

haha! Oh poor Charmaine! It's true we sometimes expect too much of you instead of meeting you half way. But on our behalf, sometimes it's just fun to tease you! That's what I always had to do to your dad when we were in his lab and he asked for a "loli". I knew what he meant, but mocked him anyway. Though I don't think you're near as fun to tease as he is, do you agree? lol.
~Taryn

emily said...

charmy...chewy is still not a real word :)

HannahT said...

Charmaine all i can say is i know what you mean!
its like i need to move over there and make sure if that situation comes up ill be there by your side!

LIKE YOU!